Monday, October 5, 2009

Oh, Starbucks...




What were they thinking by positioning their new VIA instant coffee against their own Starbucks brand brew? I took the taste challenge yesterday, and my reaction upon learning that I thought their instant coffee tasted better left me with a favorable impression of VIA, but at the expense of my positive impression of their brewed coffee. Why would they target their own existing brewed drinkers for this product? Why not expand the customer base by testing it against other instant coffees or cheaper brewed coffees? Should be interesting to see how much brewed sales suffer due to cannibalization.

1 comment:

  1. That makes no sense, but they don't have to worry about me switching to VIA anytime soon since they don't make it in Decaf. Sad face.

    ReplyDelete